Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Blue Eyed Grass -- Sisyrinchium bellum


When I first saw a picture of this plant, I knew I had to incorporate it somewhere in my garden. The best place to find native plants near me is Tree of Life nursery in San Juan Capistrano, at mile 7 on the Ortega Highway. Tree of Life is a quiet, serene space that is like a botanical garden. I love to walk around and see the incredible array of native species they have cultivated. As I learn more about what grows in California, the nursery has become an invaluable resource for me. Every plant is labeled with pertinent information.
Though this is a grass that will reseed naturally, and will do well on a hillside or in a meadow, I really wanted to incorporate this dainty, sweet little plant with its gorgeous blue color into my small space. The leaves are tall, narrow and spear-like, rising up from a basal bottom. The color ranges from white to violet blue, and there is a golden-eyed variety as well. It's semi-evergreen perennial that does well in nearly any space with little to moderate water. I have it planted near some Yerba Buena, underneath a pink rose bush.


It will do well in a container with mixed annuals, or placed into little spaces between shrubs and perennials. It will go dormant in a dry garden in the summer, but with added water, or along the coast, it will stay in bloom. Pests and diseases tend to leave it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment