Friday, July 16, 2010

Canna lilies


Cannas were something I'd only heard about in New England; I never encountered one until I moved to the west coast. There were several clumps of them growing in our garden when we moved in, and while I dug up some of them, there were a few stragglers who survived, and I am happy they did! This one is obviously right next to a prolific rosebush, and the colors work well together. I have a deep red one next to my Butterfly Bush, which gives a nice contrast to the purple/apricot flower spikes.Though this red flower is not a canna lily, it is the same color as the one that is growing nearby, so you can see how striking that looks!

Cannas feature leaves that resemble a tropical banana or ti plant, giving your garden a little extra oomph in texture and color. The leaves can be solid green, or bronzy red, and spikes of ruffled summer flowers can be yellow, red, pink, cream, white, or bi-colored. They work best in clumps of single colors in a border, or in a planter. If you live where the soil freezes, lift and store over winter. The clumps spread by rhizomes, similar to iris.

No comments:

Post a Comment