Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Red Banana Plant - Ensete


In the tropical corridor that is the side yard of my garden, the side of the house soars to over 40 feet, with large windows and large blank walls. There were already some tropical influences present in the aeonioums, ferns, Bird of Paradise, and Sago and Pygmy Palms that resided there. I had a tall, blank, white space to fill and wasn't sure what was going to work there. It's also a wind tunnel, so I needed to be mindful of that as well.

Traipsing through a local nursery center, I saw a few Ensetes off in a corner. The height, the red-tipped colorful and humungous leaves drew me towards these specimens. They grow in full sun or partial shade, require medium moisture (not a problem in the spot I needed to fill), and will grow to over 30 feet tall! As I had room on either side of the plant, it didn't matter that this bold statement would require 10-15 ft to spread its wings. I love the colorful burgundy and green color, the tropical flavor it adds to the area, and the way the leaves sway in the breeze.

It has yet to flower and fruit, but even if it never does, it is still a striking looking specimen. Fruit, when produced, are dry and unpalatable. The leaves eventually fall and decompose quite readily, though when I cut the leaves off, the stems are very fleshy and full of water. Also known as Abyssinian Banana, Ethiopian Banana, Ensete ventricosum is an African native that will die back in areas that get frost. Lift the plants before first frost, cut back the long roots, and reduce top growth to the newest 2-3 leaves. Though they like a sheltered area, mine seems to be doing ok even in its windy spot. Sometimes subject to spider mites or aphids.

No comments:

Post a Comment